< Back to the final build section

Improvements

 

Rear shocks
Racing at Pod I noticed a few small issues with the car (Not bad considering it had never been driven in anger before!). It was apparent that the car was squatting too much, even to the extent that it was scuffing the sump nuts! Now I know the best way to solve this would be to upgrade the torsion bars. However, the car is a street car, so I wasn't keen on making it to firm. Thus I decided to fit some 13 point Protect adjustable shocks. These can be set at rock hard for the track, and turned down for on the street. They also look great!! I will keep you informed on how well these all work out.

 

Throttle cable tube
Another small issue I had been meaning to fix for ages was the throttle cable routing where it comes out of the tunnel. Even as standard (see below) on a pre 67 car the throttle cables do not run through any tube. Add in a later gearbox, it actually runs on the case. I’ve even seen it cut into gearbox cases!

Anyway here’s my solution.

 

Weighing the car
Simply because I had access to some scales, I decided to weigh the car. I was very happy with the weight considering all the added components as it only 816.5kg overall (1800lbs exactly!) and has pretty much perfect 50:50 left to right balance, and a nice 60:40 front to back weight. :)

 

Shifter handler
One final thing I have been wanting to do for ages, but have never seemed to get around to it, was to fit the personalised shifter handle which I had got in the states from Bergs during a once in a lifetime trip. Well after some issues with the line lock button, I finally got the excuse I needed to fitting it, my ‘Dudes Beetle’ shifter handle!! :D